Background & Experience
In November 2003, I was elected to a four-year term in the At-Large seat on the Albemarle County School Board. I was re-elected to a second term in 2007. In this position, I represented all of Albemarle County, Virginia as one of seven elected School Board members. I resigned from my position on the board on August 5, 2010 for personal and professional reasons.
I have lived in the Charlottesville area since August 1984 and I am a graduate of the University of Virginia (Col 90). I am currently Executive Director of Charlottesville Tomorrow, a non-partisan community organization informing the public and policy related to land use, transportation and community design. During 1998-2005 I served as the Chief Information Officer at SNL Financial on the Charlottesville Downtown Mall. Before joining SNL I worked at the W. Alton Jones Foundation from 1990-1997. My wife Jean and I were married in 1990 and over the years we have lived in Crozet, Troy, the Fieldbrook subdivision and now in Langford Farms near Ivy, Virginia.
During 2009-2010, I had two children in Albemarle County Schools, a daughter in twelfth grade at Western Albemarle High School and a son in eighth grade at Henley Middle School.
- Albemarle County School Board, At-Large Member, 2004-Aug 2010, Chairman 2008 & 2009.
- Charlottesville Albemarle Technical Education Center (CATEC), Board Member, 2009-Aug 2010
- Piedmont Regional Education Program (PREP), Board Member 2004 – 2008; Vice Chairman 2005 – 2006; Chairman 2007 – 2008
- AlbemarleMatters.com—Creator of website and e-mail newsletters dedicated to improved communication about our schools and our community, 1999 – Present
- Murray Elementary PTO, President, 2002-2003; Vice President 2001-2002
- Albemarle County Schools Parent Council. Murray Elementary Representative 2001-2002, 2002-2003, At-Large Representative 2000-2001.
- Albemarle County Principal Screening Committee, May 2000
- Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce, Economic & Government Affairs Committee (Both Albemarle County Public Schools and my employer, Charlottesville Tomorrow, are Chamber members), 2006-Present
- Ivy Community Association, President, 2004-2006, Secretary 2001-2004
- Computers4Kids, Mentor, 2002-2003
- Virginia Piedmont Technology Council (VPTC), Board Member 1999-2001
- Blue Ridge Mountain Rescue Group (UVA) and Appalachian Search & Rescue Conference, Incident Commander & Member 1984-1991
- Western Albemarle Rescue Squad, EMT Volunteer 1986
- Charlottesville Tomorrow, Charlottesville, VA, Executive Director, July 2005 – Present
- SNL Financial, LC, Charlottesville, VA, Chief Information Officer, Feb 1998 – Jan 2005
- SNL Financial, LC, Charlottesville, VA, Network Administrator, Feb 1997 – Jan 1998
- W. Alton Jones Foundation, Charlottesville, VA, Grants Manager & Information Systems Manager, May 1990 – Jan 1997
- B.A. Foreign Affairs - University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia May 1990.
- Graduate, National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) Advanced Mountaineering Course, Wyoming, Summer 1986.